In 1852, four years after the founding of the Swiss Confederation, the introduction of the Federal Coinage System and the laying of the cornerstone of the Federal Palace, the Federal Telegraph Workshop was founded in Bern to manufacture equipment for the telegraph service introduced in this year. Thus, in the founding years, there was a very close cooperation between the later Hasler AG and the Federal Telegraph Administration.
First of all, the company had it's premises at Kaserne 2 and Brunngasse 17, and in 1855 Gustav Hasler was appointed adjunct to the production director Matthias Hipp from Reutlingen. In the early years, weight and later clockwork driven Morse printers for wired telegraphy were manufactured. After Hipp founded his own telegraph company in Neuchâtel in 1860, Gustav Hasler took over the direction of the company. In 1862, a representative building was built on Vannazhalde in Bern.
Until 1864, business went well with up to 80 per cent of the telegraph equipment produced being exported. So it was decided to release the production to the private sector. With the introduction of the telephone service in 1881, the production was expanded with the selector, a self-dialing device. From now on, Hasler produced mainly telephone sets and telephone exchanges. The desk telephone from 1927 and the wall station from 1930 were produced for decades, the Hasler wall stations were still used in rural areas until the end of the 20th century.
Public broadcasting in Switzerland had it's breakthrough in Switzerland in 1931, when three high power transmitting stations in the three national languages were constructed. In 1936, the Hasler management decided to add radio frequency technology - predominantly the development of transmitters - to their portfolio, this was supported by a license agreement with British Marconi. One of the most important transmitter stations besides the transmitters of Radio Schweiz AG was the construction of the Swiss National shortwave transmitter Schwarzenburg, which started trial operation in 1940 and the regular operation a few months later.
During the war years, the company made their first experience with the VHf/UHF range, so the decimeter radio set„K-Dm was introduced. The UHF frequency range was used for radiosondes to transmit weather balloon data. In 1937, attempts were made to connect mountain shelters with wireless telephony, so even before the war, the Monte Rosa hut was connected to the public telephone network of Zermatt by a wireless connection. Other VHF / UHF applications were found in military and police radio communications. Microwave communication with carrier frequency technology became also very important.
Other business areas included speedometers (tachometers and tachographs), aeronautical instruments, traffic lights and railway signaling systems, and technology for the Swiss textile industry.